Paneer Jalfrezi is an easy & tasty paneer dish that goes great with rumali roti & biryani. This will not take more than 20mins which for Indian cooking is fast food!
To keep it simple, follow the steps below:
- Take a non-stick pan, heat it, add a spoon full of butter and let it melt.
- Take a packet of Paneer, wash it and cut them into 1×1 inch cubes.
- Now add the paneer to the butter and let the paneer fry till they turn brown. Not fried but to make them firm.
- Now cut the following vegetables as big chunks and keep them aside – 1 onion, 1 bell pepper & 2 tomatoes. Keeping them big is key.
- Now take a deep/big pan and dry roast – 5 peppercorns, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, coriander seeds and 4-5 red chillies. Keep them aside to cool. After they cool, grind them for 10secs and take out half of the mixture. Finely grind the remaining mixture.
- Now in the same dish, add another spoon of butter and when it melts, add the vegetables and stir fry them rapidly. Now add the fine mixture to make sure it mixes with the vegetables. Add some salt to make sure it cooks faster.
- Now add the panner and on high flame, keep stir frying. You don’t need a lot of time here; you need the garnish to mix well.
- Turn off the flame and add the corse mixture on top, add some mint leaves and leave the curry covered for a few minutes before serving.
One difference between how I make this and what is traditionally made is the addition of tomato sauce. I don’t like it as it get too tangy and the paneer gets a tomato flavor & I like to retain the paneer flavor.