Some reasons why I took up español:
10. Over 400 million other people speak it — why not me?
9. So that I can order dinner in a Mexican restaurant. Been embarrassed quite a few times there. ( Uday!)
8. So that I can understand that little Taco Bell dog. ( Uday again!)
7. Penelope Cruz.
6. Looks great on the resume.
5. Because I want to go to classes again.
4. Hot Latin Chicas.
3. To expand my cultural horizons. ( Read: More wider range of women to date)
2. Because my dad asked me to. Honestly.
1. Because I want to travel to Spain, Mexico, Colombia, Argentina, Venezuela, Peru, Chile, Cuba,Ecuador, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Bolivia, Costa Rica, Uruguay, Puerto Rico, Panama, Paraguay and …
and these are just a few…
A very beautiful poem that we have… the real emotion can only be best expressed in español. My english translation does not convey it that well, but I ll try anyways:
Nuestro cuarto tiene In our little bedroom, la cama y una ventana on our bed and near our window, Que da un patio claro, where the sunshine lights up, una comoda, un armario. the furniture and closets. una comoda, un armario. where the walls are damp and cold, y frias y un cuadro dorado and on it still lies the golden frame, de la virgin Maria. of the virgin Mary. Aqui reimos, aqui llore Here we laughed and here I cried, y perdi lo que soy, fui and here was the place that i lost, casi sin querer. everything that i ever had. Nuestro cuarto guarda Our little bedroom, el eco de tus palabras, even now encloses, humo de cigarro the smell of your cigar, y music de radio the music that we loved to hear on the radio, y ese espejo roto and that broken mirror, que era tuyo y mio still captures the image of you and me, hoy encuentra solo, but now i am all alone, hoy esta vacio. even after you are long gone. Aqui reimos, aqui llore Here we laughed and here I cried, y perdi lo que soy, fui and here was the place that i lost, casi sin querer. everything that i ever had.